Re: Supporting Multiple Path Routing

On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 13:36 -0500, Hadriel Kaplan wrote:

> [...]

You're right, but I think that there are many cases in which
intermediaries _do_ know what the real situation is but report it in a
way that's ambiguous.  If the intermediate device is a PSTN/SIP gateway,
then in at least some cases it can distinguish between:

      * it has attempted to reach the PSTN number it extracted from the
        SIP request and gotten a response from the PSTN terminal (no
        such number or busy),
or
      * it has encountered an error somewhere before reaching that PSTN
        terminal (gateway is out of channels, trunk busy from the PSTN)

Granted that not all intermediate systems can know for every request
whether what they are returning is an end-to-end response or an
intermediate-to-end response.  But sometimes they do, and when they do
they should be clearer about it than we find them to be today (some
gateways return 486 when they are out of local DSP resources and have
not attempted a PSTN call at all, for example).  When they can't be
sure, that should (I think) be returned as an intermediate failure
(because if it really was intermediate, then alternate routes will be
tried to attempt to get an end-to-end result).