Re: [Sip] "UPDATE during Re-INVITE" discussion

With bullet I didn't mean that you were trying to shoot me, or something. "Bullet" in this context refers to the second statement you gave :)

From: gao.yang2@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gao.yang2@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 10. maaliskuuta 2009 10:28
To: Christer Holmberg
Cc: Eric.wang; SIP; SIPPING
Subject: 答复: RE: [Sip] "UPDATE during Re-INVITE" discussion

Hi,

"Christer Holmberg" <christer.holmberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

2009-03-10 16:01

收件人
<gao.yang2@xxxxxxxxxx>
抄送
"Eric.wang" <eric.wangxr@xxxxxxxxx>, "SIP" <sip@xxxxxxxx>, "SIPPING" <sipping@xxxxxxxx>
主题
RE: [Sip] "UPDATE during Re-INVITE" discussion

The reason why we have this whole discussion is because the current specifications are unclear. If everything was clear, and everybody had the same understanding, we wouldn't need to clarify anything.
[Gao] I think everything is clear. But people have different view towards UPDATE. So we need clarification than re-definition here.

So, whatever solution we choose, I am sure that someone will have to "rewrite their software".
[Gao] Yes. But we should guard the right understanding. And compel people with misunderstanding to "rewrite their software". I think make every UPDATE/200OK during Re-INVITE as part of Re-INVITE is a "big" change for some software.
I support to take UPDATE/200OK just refreshing "precondition state table" as part of Re-INVITE. And I think most of current software is doing so.

....IF that software exists in the first place, that is.

I am not aware of any deployments which would support re-INVITEs with nested UPDATEs/PRACKs. Maybe there are such deployments, but I doubt they would all behave in the way as you describe.
[Gao] I just talked about if we want to obey RFC3311, it is not right to take all UPDATE/200OK(during Re-INVITE) as part of Re-INVITE.

Regarding your second bullet, I don't even think that one should send "nested" UPDATEs, if they don't have anything to do with the re-INVITE. I think that is bad application design. Non-related changes should be done outside the re-INVITE transaction.
[Gao] It is not bullet, just friendly discussion.
And I think the relationship of Re-INVITE and UPDATEs should be defined by application level definition, such as precondition. We should not just making relationship  by "during".

Gao