Re: TR: I-D Action:draft-boucadair-sipping-ipv6-atypes-00.txt

> Comments are more than welcome.

Hi.

This draft appears to describe how SBCs can assist IPv4-/IPv6-only nodes in
communicating with each other by modifying SDP offers and SDP answers.  I
presume this is done to avoid doing ICE on the endpoints, even though
draft-ietf-sipping-v6-transition says IPv6 endpoints SHOULD implement ICE to
assist with the IPv6 transition -- but I'm not sure; the document doesn't
discuss why the atypes is superior to ICE.  I think I understand why the
sip.atypes media feature tag is useful (because the SBC can only really know
about the endpoint's ability to handle signaling, not media).  But is there
harm in the SBC assuming the obvious -- namely, that an incoming IPv4 SIP
signaling connection from an endpoint means the endpoint supports IPv4 media,
and that an incoming IPv6 signaling connection from an endpoint means the the
endpoint supports IPv6 media?

draft-boucadair-sipping-ipv6-atypes also uses ANAT (RFC4091/RFC4092) which has
two deficiencies: (a) an ANAT offer is confusing to SDP receivers that are
ANAT-unaware (because of the multiple m= lines some SIP endpoints supposedly
reject the invitation) and (b) ANAT will be deprecated when ICE is published.

-d