Re: Post-WGLC^3: draft-ietf-sipping-update-pai-07 (allowable URN schemes)

I have heard no objections to this proposal from John-Luc.

John

From: John-Luc Bakker [mailto:jlbakker.ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 04 December 2008 19:17
To: sipping
Cc: Gonzalo Camarillo; Mary Barnes; Elwell, John
Subject: Re: Post-WGLC^3: draft-ietf-sipping-update-pai-07 (allowable URN schemes)

Folks,

Reacting to point 2:

> 2. We should not specify the sending of service URNs. The syntax already
> allows for them and the draft already says that you have to be tolerant
> of any scheme on receipt. No text change is required for this.

Being tolerant of URN schemes upon receipt suggests to me that within a particular Spec(T) more or less URN schemes can be allowed. For example, urn scheme SIPS appears not used in the spec(T) instanciated by 3GPP.

Is it true that it is up to the Spec(T) to determine which URN schemes are allowed for identification of the authenticated UA? If "yes" then I question the text in section 4.5 where the RFC 3325 restriction is repeated, only allowing 3 URI schemes, basta:

>   This document does not change the RFC 3325 requirement that allows
>   each of these header fields to contain at most two URIs, where one is
>   a SIP or SIPS URI and the other is a TEL URI, but future updates to
>   this document may relax that requirement.  In the absence of such a
>   relaxation, the requirement above means that an entity receiving a
>   request containing a P-Asserted-Identity or P-Preferred-Identity
>   header field must act as follows:
>
>   o  ignore any URI with a scheme other than SIP, SIPS or TEL;
>
>   o  ignore a second or subsequent SIP URI, a second or subsequent SIPS
>      URI or a second or subsequent TEL URI; and
>
>   o  ignore a SIP URI if a SIPS URI occurred earlier in the header
>      field and vice versa.

To take account of the case where allowable URN schemes can be determined by the Spec(T) instance, maybe we can reword the above too:

>   In the absence of a Spec(T) determining otherwise, this document does not change the RFC 3325 requirement that allows
>   each of these header fields to contain at most two URIs, where one is
>   a SIP or SIPS URI and the other is a TEL URI, but future updates to
>   this document may relax that requirement.  The requirement in RFC 3325 means that an entity receiving a
>   request containing a P-Asserted-Identity or P-Preferred-Identity
>   header field must act as follows:
>
>   o  ignore any URI with a scheme other than SIP, SIPS or TEL;
>
>   o  ignore a second or subsequent SIP URI, a second or subsequent SIPS
>      URI or a second or subsequent TEL URI; and
>
>   o  ignore a SIP URI if a SIPS URI occurred earlier in the header
>      field and vice versa.

Comments? Suggestions?

Regards,

John-Luc