Re: draft-johnston-sipping-cc-uui-05

>  1) Get this syntax agreed as soon as possible because it is needed by
> the industry in the today's PSTN/SIP mixed environment.

Well, I have here to make the observation that SIP-PSTN is not the only mixed environment.
SIP is also used on IP networks and on the Internet and the UUI may look there vastly more different - probably extensible and very powerful. And it may be just as urgent.

So it appears the SIP UUI may end up with two tracks, one for compatibility with ISDN and the other for the IP networks and the Internet.

What do the authors think?

Henry

On 11/20/08 9:03 AM, "Laura Liess" <Laura.Liess@xxxxxx> wrote:

> This is precisely my concern. By doing this we are adopting this syntax
> for carrying data for what will eventually be *SIP* services. Is this
> *really* the way we want to support those services in a native sip
> environment?

Paul,
I do not see why we should not do both and leave the decision to the market.
IETF did this in the past.

    1) Get this syntax agreed as soon as possible because it is needed by
the industry in the today's PSTN/SIP mixed environment. If we do not come up
very soon with a standard, people will use proprietary extenssions. I think
we should avoid this. There are no technical reasons not to move on with the
draft.

    2) In the long term we could develop a "native sip" syntax which is more
flexible, easier to implement, whatever.... It will have advantages in a
"sip native" environment and it will be adopted when the "native sip"
environement is in place.

Laura