Re: [Fwd: New Version Notification fordraft-johnston-sipping-cc-uui-05]

DRAGE, Keith (Keith) wrote:

My answer would be no. This is primarily intended for interworking with
the ISDN, and therefore ...

Keith, I don't understand this argument.

This only makes sense to me if the need for this functionality will only *ever* exist during ISDN interworking. And I don't believe that.

Step 0:

Two ISDN devices communicate using some feature that requires the UUI capability.

Step 1:

One of those devices is replaced by a SIP device. The SIP device needs to interwork with ISDN device, so it implements this feature in this ISDN interworking style.

Step 2:

The other ISDN device is replaced by a SIP device. It needs to interwork with the other SIP device using this ISDN interworking style.

Net result: the *native* SIP mechanism for this feature is via this opaque ISDN encoding, embodying limitations that are no longer meaningful.

Then it too painful to migrate to a more natural sip native mechanism.

	Thanks,
	Paul