Re: [RAI] Expert review of draft-sinnreich-sip-tools-03

> But as long as
> there is the possibility that you might have to interact with somebody
> that only implemented the old way,

This is another good point that I believe we have to write down.
Simple SIP is not meant to interoperate with all the telephony features for
which 100 flavors of SS7 have been deployed (there were ~100 the last time I
looked). RFC4485  states very clearly SIP is not a replacement for the PSTN.
If you don't agree with RFC4485 "Guidelines for SIP Authors" just say so.
Our simple SIP is rather the KISS Internet approach.

It seemed to us the section of what is out of scope was clear enough, but
this discussion is helpful.

The authors have stated clearly the main usage scenario for the simple SIP
_alternative_ is for SIP as a Rich Internet Application and also for P2P SIP
where everything is in the endpoints. Finally, SIP can re-join the web!
(That's where it started around 1996 and what made it successful IMO).

This does not preclude a few simple servers such as voice mail. But as you
Paul have pointed out, interoperability with the PSTN is left to SIP-PSTN
gateways. This was the other good point you made.

Also, to preclude any misunderstandings, simple SIP is out of scope for all
the SIP extensions meant to contradict the spirit of RFC 4485.
"Legacy SIP" (yes we have arrived here) that is intended to emulate the
PSTN, private extensions to accommodate various business models is also out
of scope. As mentioned, we aim to use SIP just as a a reasonably simple
_Internet_ protocol, working best in the e2e (different from p2p) model and
simple CS model for rendezvous and maybe some other plain functions such as
voice mail storage.

Now thinking about voice mail, why not place it in some cloud computing?
Why does one need dedicated feature servers and not move the features into
the cloud, if you don't like the endpoints (SIP UA)?
But this is for another day. Let's enjoy simple SIP for now.

Henry