Re: monolithic policy on a volatile root

On Fri, Aug 2, 2024 at 4:27 AM Dominick Grift
<dominick.grift@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think this question was already asked but I could not find the
> discussion.
>
> What would be the challenges to support a monolitic policy on a volatile
> root?
>
> In a volatile root scenario there is only a non-volatile readonly
> /usr. Would it be possible to teach libselinux that if there is a
> /usr/selinux and not a /etc/selinux and/or /var/lib/selinux that it would
> use that instead?
>
> The challenge I am currently facing with systemd.volatile=yes is that
> when the policy is loaded from initramfs that systemd-tmpfiles (and
> systemd-sysusers) cannot properly populate root from /usr/share/factory
> (or created) because they rely on libselinux,get/setfilecon and thus on
> /etc/selinux/contexts/files. There is a slight chicken and egg situation there.
>
> Often times its not a probable because one can do with automatic type
> transitions but some of these files get created atomically (/etc/passwd
> and /etc/shadow for example) and not to mention that these libselinux
> linked components might get confused and noisy if selinux is enabled and
> enforcing but there is no /etc/selinux.
>
> Duplicating policy in initramfs and /etc, /var/lib would invite
> inconsistencies and is not feasible but if the policy is readonly and
> thus monolitic then this might be feasible if it is not too
> ugly. Actually in such a scenario we would probably not need a policy in
> initramfs at all since systemd would just load it from /usr instead of /etc.

I've seen a similar concern raised previously even for modular/managed policy.
It's all just software so I don't think it would be hard to modify
libselinux to fall back to /usr/selinux if there is no file in
/etc/selinux; it just requires someone to write a patch for it. May
have policy implications (i.e. anything that currently accesses
/etc/selinux now also may need search access to usr_t) but that's
pretty common anyway.