Re: cgroup2 labeling question

Stephen Smalley <stephen.smalley.work@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 10:46 AM Ondrej Mosnacek <omosnace@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 3:19 PM Dominick Grift
>> <dominick.grift@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Interesting. I will try this out. Would this not require at least a
>> > "fsuse trans" statement in policy?
>>
>> No, it should work alongside genfscon. cgroupfs already was special
>> before that as it allowed relabeling despite genfscon being used.
>>

>> > https://github.com/SELinuxProject/refpolicy/blob/master/policy/modules/kernel/filesystem.te#L89
>> >
>> > Also I am not sure if that support would make much sense on a filesystem
>> > where files are created my the kernel in reaction to some event.
>>
>> It does make sense with named transitions, plus it was needed to make
>> even a simple parent-child inheritance work. Also, I believe some
>> cgroupfs files/directories (I think only directories?) can be created
>> by userspace, too.
>
> We should likely check that the SELinux Notebook and/or other
> documentation reflects this support and which filesystem types are
> supported, both wrt the filesystem types that support both genfscon +
> setxattr and those that support genfscon+setxattr+type_transition
> rules.

I tried this out:

1. yes you can create dirs on cgroup2 fs (but not files)
2. you can have a genfscon "cgroup2" alongside fsuse trans "cgroup2" but
if you do then any genfscon statements you might have like for example
genfscon "cgroup2" "/user.slice" cgroupfile_context) no longer
work. i.e. its pointless to have then both
3. even with a fsuse trans statement I could not make type transitions
work for directories created on cgroup2 fs.

Even if you could create directories on a cgroupfs with a type
transition, and if the files under that directory would inherited the
type of the parent, then that still would not be good enough to address
the memory.pressure file challenge because the point is to allow a
service to write the memory.pressure file but not other files in that
same directory.

--
gpg --locate-keys dominick.grift@xxxxxxxxxxx
Key fingerprint = FCD2 3660 5D6B 9D27 7FC6  E0FF DA7E 521F 10F6 4098