Re: boot failures as of "selinux: checkreqprot is deprecated, add some ssleep() discomfort"

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 2:43 PM J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My Fedora 33 test VMs stopped booting linux-next recently; reverting
> 81200b0265b1 "selinux: checkreqprot is deprecated, add some ssleep()
> discomfort" allows them to boot again.
>
> I'm guessing this warning wasn't intended to be quite *that* dramatic?

Well, I dunno, we *really* want to get rid of that option ;)

Jokes aside, I'm sorry that caught you out, but thanks for reporting
it.  I thought I tested all the combinations, but obviously I missed
one.  The obvious fix is to move the ssleep() call out of
checkreqprot_set() and into sel_write_checkreqprot(); you'll still get
the error message on the console, but you'll only hit the sleep when
toggling the flag after boot, at runtime.  It's similar to the runtime
disable deprecation.  I'll work up a patch as soon as I'm done with
this email.

However, a couple of quick questions: this looks like a custom/hand
built kernel, yes?  If so, is this an old kernel config that you just
keep updating via 'make oldconfig' or something similar?  I'm asking
not to critique your kernel config choice (although this particular
Kconfig knob *is* going away), but rather I want to make sure there
isn't somebody/something out there still enabling this for a large
user base.

--
paul-moore.com