Re: Strange AVC denials without effect

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 6:28 AM Topi Miettinen <toiwoton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I renamed SELinux packet types and also without using type attributes
> (like packet_type etc), so that refpolicy TE rules for packets should
> not apply. Then I added new rules for the new types one by one as they
> were needed. But there are lots of audit entries which would seem to
> indicate that kernel_t is prevented from sending packets:
>
> type=AVC msg=audit(1593770235.180:3222): avc:  denied  { send } for
> pid=408 comm="irq/30-iwlwifi" saddr=10.0.0.3 daddr=1.1.1.1 netif=wlan0
> scontext=system_u:system_r:kernel_t:s0
> tcontext=system_u:object_r:my_dns_client_packet_t:s0 tclass=packet
> permissive=0
>
> In reality, the packets are sent. But kernel_t is not permissive and
> there should not be any rules which would allow the action, so shouldn't
> this prevent packet transmission?

Hmm, that is interesting.  Are you 100% certain that the packets which
are the source of this AVC denial are the ones being sent over the
wire(less)?  Based on the permission, this is coming from the SELinux
postroute hooks which simply return a DROP to the netfilter code, so
if the packet is really getting sent it might be a case where the
kernel is ignoring the netfilter hooks ... and that seems fairly
unlikely to me.

What kernel are you using?

--
paul moore