Re: PR 193 sitting for uClibC fix

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:46 PM William Roberts
<bill.c.roberts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:44 AM Stephen Smalley
> <stephen.smalley.work@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:22 PM William Roberts
> > <bill.c.roberts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > This PR:
> > > https://github.com/SELinuxProject/selinux/pull/193
> > >
> > > Has been sitting forever. I looked through the mailing list and didn't
> > > see any patches hit the list,
> > > we should either close it, or merge it.
> > >
> > > Thoughts? If we need it to hit the list, can I grab it and sign-off on
> > > it and post it?
> >
> > You can't sign-off on someone else's patch without them first signing off on it
> > or otherwise certifying to you that it falls under clauses (a), (b),
> > or (c) of the DCO.
>
> For some reason I just assumed it had a signed-off line, it doesn't though.
>
> > You could create your own patch to achieve the same end, especially
> > since this one is trivial and seems
> > to be modeled after an existing commit,
> > ab0e27003ef245f20512d1808b1dfee662ab8f41, so it
> > seems like it is relatively safe.
>
> I thought about creating it, but it's like how do I create such a trivial patch
> and not get hit with I copied it.

IANAL, but IIUC when something can only be done one way, it isn't copyrightable.
Other possible ways to differentiate:
- libselinux/src/Makefile provides a FTS_LDLIBS ?= definition, which
was missing from their patch.
Not sure that matters.
- Instead of adding it LDLIBS for everything, could just add it where
needed, similar to PCRE_LDLIBS.