Re: Does anyone use RANDSTRUCT?

On 12/13/19 2:39 PM, Dan Aloni wrote:
Do you know if there is something inhibiting usage in e.g. Pixel devices?
Performance impact?
About performance, the gcc RANDSTRUCT implementation also includes a
performance-preserving feature where randomization takes cacheline
boundary into consideration. The Clang implementation is expected to
have this as well. It's a valid concern and definitely garners testing
for anyone enabling the feature.

Just confirming this: the development branch (well I suppose that's technically the only branch :-) ) for Clang randstruct does already have this feature -- it will try its hardest to squeeze the fields into cache lines. It's worth noting however that this algorithm is in its first iteration with potentially many more to come as people that are much smarter than me start digging into it and contributing optimizations while Clang randstruct gets closer and closer to getting merged upstream.

Unfortunately I have not measured or collected any data on the performance implications of Clang randstruct yet... but that is something I am interested in doing once we've gotten all of the wrinkles figured out.

- Connor