Re: [RFC 0/3] Second phase of UserPrefix to UserRBACSEPRole transition

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 01:27:42PM -0500, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On 11/25/19 9:10 AM, Dominick Grift wrote:

> > > I guess my only question with regard to this phase and the next ones is with
> > > regard to backward compatibility.  Even if no one is using this facility, we
> > > have to make sure we do not break existing installs upon upgrade.
> >
> > Maybe we can duplicate the code instead. That way we would not have to touch the existing, but dead userprefix code.
> > That should address any compatibility issues.
>
> At a minimum, we must avoid breaking existing installs upon upgrade, and we
> must avoid breaking compilation of existing policy modules (both refpolicy
> and CIL).
>
> A simple test would be ensuring that if you upgrade the userspace and run
> semodule -B with your previously installed policy (including its existing
> userprefix statements), there are no errors and you get the same
> file_contexts.homedirs as you had before.
>
> That should be relatively easy to ensure for targeted policy.  Might be more
> complicated with your policy, the CLIP policy, or perhaps others.

I am thinking that we might be able to add something to cil_resolve_userprefix() that would just not process any entries referencing the "prefix" keyword as in "user ... prefix ...;" instead of "user ... rbacseprole ...;", and instead emits a warning: "Not processing deprecated userprefix: userprefix. Use userrbacseprole instead."
That would then just not add those entries to users_extra, and instead rely on "fallback_rbacseprole=object_r" in genhomedircon.c, if the "migration" code in libsemanage does not catch it first.

--
Key fingerprint = 5F4D 3CDB D3F8 3652 FBD8 02D5 3B6C 5F1D 2C7B 6B02
https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3B6C5F1D2C7B6B02