neverallow rules

Looking at neverallow rules, the semanage.conf file says
"# expand-check check neverallow rules when executing all semanage commands.
 # Large penalty in time if you turn this on. "

If I don't set expand-check=1, are the neverallow rules actually enforced?
If so, when?

An semodule -i of a policy module with neverallow rules that are violated by the existing binary policy succeeds without complaint unless expand-check=1 in RHEL 7.6. This is not what I expected.

The time taken by a trivial module installation goes from ~.3 seconds to ~14 seconds, so the time hit for expand-check is pretty serious.

We are trying to establish some policy invariants to protect against unexpected/unnoticed RHEL upstream policy changes, some of which have bitten us recently. Any suggestions are welcome.

joe