Re: MLS dominance check behavior on el7

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 10:41 AM, Stephen Smalley <sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/10/2018 06:30 PM, Ted Toth wrote:
>>
>> mcstrans mcscolor.c also uses the same logic I'd been using to check
>> dominance so this too will no longer function as expected on el7. Do you any
>> suggestions for doing a 'generic' (one not tied to a specific resource
>> class) dominance check in lieu of context contains?
>

> You should probably define your own permission with its own constraint to
> avoid depending on the base policy's particular constraint definitions.
> Certainly for your own code.  For mcstrans, mcscolor probably ought to be
> switched to using at least a separate permission in the context class if not
> its own class to avoid overloading the meaning with pam_selinux's usage (or
> vice versa, but likely harder to change pam_selinux at this point).

Isn't the actual question what the GLB of the 2 contexts is, rather
than what permissions one has on the other? It seems like a hack to
use permissions to figure out dominance.

Would a libselinux interface to determine glb and lub of 2 contexts
make sense? Or maybe add a default_range glb and lub option and then
calculate it using relabel?