Possible OOB Read in Kernel Heap Memory in call to ext4_xattr_set_entry()

Hi Stephen/Paul,

This issue was discovered using https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common -b android-4.9-o, but I've verified the code path exists in msm-4.4. It likely exists in other kernel versions as well.

As a privileged user, one can override the current SELinux context via a call to setfscreatecon() or by writing directly to /proc/self/attr/fscreate. The context is then used to label the next newly created file object, e.g. mknod(). Upon handling the creation of the new object on the EXT4 FS we end up calling selinux_inode_init_security() to create a new xattr object for the inode. This will end up calling context_struct_to_string() to convert the SID back to the string version of the SELinux security context that was stored.

static int context_struct_to_string(struct context *context, char **scontext, u32 *scontext_len)
 {
    char *scontextp;

     if (scontext)
         *scontext = NULL;
     *scontext_len = 0;

     if (context->len) {
        *scontext_len = context->len;
          if (scontext) {
              *scontext = kstrdup(context->str, GFP_ATOMIC);
               if (!(*scontext))
                     return -ENOMEM;
         }
         return 0;
     }

scontext is populated with the context length, directly from the context structure, and using kstrdup() to copy the string. Much later down the call stack ext4_xattr_set_entry() is called with the SELinux xattr object.

             if (i->value == EXT4_ZERO_XATTR_VALUE) {
                 memset(val, 0, size);
             } else {
                 /* Clear the pad bytes first. */
                 memset(val + size - EXT4_XATTR_PAD, 0,
                        EXT4_XATTR_PAD);
                 memcpy(val, i->value, i->value_len);
             }

SELinux allows for the creation of contexts that include NULL bytes. Unfortunately in this case if a NULL byte occurs not as the string terminator, then kstrdup() will allocate a memory region smaller than what context->len represents. Later in ext4_xattr_set_entry() the original context->len will be used in memcpy() and will exceed the heap memory allocated by kstrdup() leading to an OOB issue. There may also be the potential for memory corruption depending on the total length of the SELinux context, but this would require further analysis.

Can you please let me know if my analysis is correct.
As per me, it looks like there is problem in the code.

Regards,
Sachin Grover