Re: ANN: SELinux userspace 2.8-rc1 release candidate

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 5:07 PM, Stephen Smalley <sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A 2.8-rc1 release candidate for the SELinux userspace is now available at:
> https://github.com/SELinuxProject/selinux/wiki/Releases
>
> Please give it a test and let us know if there are any issues.
>
> If there are specific changes that you think should be called out in
> release notes for packagers and users in the final release announcement, let us know.
>
> Thanks to all the contributors to this release candidate!

Thanks for this release! I have built and installed Arch Linux
packages for it and have not experimented any noticeable issue.

Here are some notes which could be useful for packagers:

* Important notice: when overriding PREFIX, BINDIR, SBINDIR, SHLIBDIR,
LIBEXECDIR, etc., DESTDIR has to be removed from the definition. For
example on Arch Linux, I had to change SBINDIR="${pkgdir}/usr/bin" to
SBINDIR="/usr/bin".
* Defining variable LIBSEPOLA (to /usr/lib/libsepol.a, for example) is
no longer mandatory (thanks to the switch to "-l:libsepol.a" in
Makefiles).
* Still in Makfiles, PYSITEDIR has been renamed PYTHONLIBDIR (and its
definition changed).
* selinux-gui (ie. system-config-selinux GUI application) is now
compatible with Python 3. Doing this required migrating away from
PyGTK to the supported PyGI library. This means that selinux-gui now
depends on python-gobject, Gtk+ 3 and selinux-python. It no longer
requires PyGtk or Python 2.

By the way, for Arch Linux users who want to test the RC, I have
published the PKGBUILDs I have written on branch "selinux-2.8-rc" of
https://github.com/archlinuxhardened/selinux/commits/selinux-2.8-rc .

Cheers,
Nicolas