Re: Update setenforce, getenforce, sestatus man pages with references to each other.

On Mon, 2018-01-29 at 11:27 -0600, Ben Kane wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Last week I was studying for the RHCSE certification, and I couldn't
> find how
> to change SELinux's status from enforcing to permissive in the man
> pages. This
> patch updates the relevant man pages.
>
> - Switching emails
>
> I emailed Daniel Walsh, the man page author, and he connected me to
> Petr
> Lautrbach, who sent me to this mailing list (via my work email). The
> maintainer, Stephen Smalley, said I should remove my company's legal
> blurb at
> the end of the email, and the email folks at my work (Acxiom Corp),
> said it
> would be better to use my personal email anyway.
>
> - Patch format
>
> I hope the patch is formatted correctly. I tried to follow the notes
> on the
> wiki (
> https://github.com/SELinuxProject/selinux/wiki/Contributing#contribut
> ing-code )
> and I used a StackOverflow link ( https://stackoverflow.com/a/3418499
> /2958070 )
> to generate the patchfile.

These days people generally create patches by committing the change to
their locally cloned repository via git commit, then producing a patch
via git format-patch and emailing the result or directly sending it via
git send-email.  Inline patches are preferred over attachments since
that eases reading and commenting. See:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html
for guidance for Linux kernel patches; we generally follow the same
approach although we aren't quite as strict.

Make sure you don't include anything above the first --- that you don't
want included in the commit message with your patch, e.g. much of your
content above isn't about the patch itself but rather asides that don't
really belong in the final log message.

One question I have is why cross-reference getenforce/setenforce from
the sestatus man page but not from the selinux man page.  If you were
starting from no SELinux knowledge, how would you have found the
sestatus man page in the first place?