Re: Announcing SPAN: SELinux Policy Analysis Notebook

On May 8, 2017, at 3:32 PM, Dominick Grift <dac.override@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 03:23:06PM -0400, Karl MacMillan wrote:

Thanks for making the Fedora SPEC.

I know it’s a topic of great debate, but there are some nice things about just sticking with the Python tools for dependency management for upstream. Mainly because it’s portable and helps get the latest versions (which is nice for fast moving projects like Jupyter notebook and Pandas).

Yes it is pretty cool (pip) and this event actually prompted me to make pip work in my environment. However for me in this case it is really not an option. Its nice for simple python modules but python programs such as notebook need permissions that i do not associate will login users shells, and i dont support confining applications installed to $HOME. notebook needs permissions like execmem, needs network connectivity and a few other things that i do not allow my user login shells. So I have to make this work system-wide and I wanted the benefit of being able to manage/keep track off what i install system-wide

Interesting. I’ll just note that it’s perfectly possible to run Jupyter Notebook as a server and connect to it via a web-browser. So it would be simple to run Jupyter in a container or VM, which might make containing it easier. Personally, I just run this on a development system that’s not so locked down.

Karl

Karl

--
Key fingerprint = 5F4D 3CDB D3F8 3652 FBD8  02D5 3B6C 5F1D 2C7B 6B02
https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3B6C5F1D2C7B6B02

--
Key fingerprint = 5F4D 3CDB D3F8 3652 FBD8  02D5 3B6C 5F1D 2C7B 6B02
https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3B6C5F1D2C7B6B02
Dominick Grift

--
Key fingerprint = 5F4D 3CDB D3F8 3652 FBD8  02D5 3B6C 5F1D 2C7B 6B02
https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3B6C5F1D2C7B6B02
Dominick Grift

--
Key fingerprint = 5F4D 3CDB D3F8 3652 FBD8  02D5 3B6C 5F1D 2C7B 6B02
https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3B6C5F1D2C7B6B02 <https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3B6C5F1D2C7B6B02>
Dominick Grift