Re: possible regression in "semanage user"

On Thu, 2017-02-02 at 18:22 +0100, Vit Mojzis wrote:
> Hi list,
> we have a report about a possible regression in "semanage user" and
> I'd
> like to hear your opinion on what the correct behaviour should be.
>
> Given that local changes have been made to a SELinux user definition
> (originally defined in policy)
> e.g. # semanage user -m staff_u -r "s0"
> and the SELinux user is mapped to some Linux user
> # semanage login -a -s staff_u staff
> both
> # semanage user -d staff_u
> and
> # semanage user --deleteall
> will fail to remove the local change with the following message:
> "libsemanage.lookup_seuser: staff_u is being used by staff login
> record
> (Invalid argument)."
>
> Is this the intended behaviour?
>
> I would assume that this error message was intended only for locally
> defined SELinux users (in which case "semanage user -d selinux_user"
> would remove the only definition of "selinux_user"). If so, is there
> any
> way to determine if a SELinux user has been defined only locally (as
> opposed to being defined in policy) after some local changes have
> been made?

Looks like this change came in via commit
56d9d20a647a52146494f0aef4494cafe328dc5d from Dan Walsh (in 2013).
I agree it doesn't make sense for policy-defined users.  Offhand, I
don't see a clean interface for doing what you want; I'm wondering if
we truly need this check at all.