Re: Inconsistent RSS on Red Hat 7 but not 6.

On Jul 12, 2016, at 2:44 PM, Stephen Smalley <sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 07/12/2016 11:58 AM, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
We keep metrics on our binaries with respect to how much memory
they take up at startup time. So for instance if you run ./a.pl
--basemem, it grabs the VmRSS value out of /proc/$$/status and
exits.

When we added Red Hat 7 support to our product, we noticed that
this value was VERY unstable. After much poking, I accidentally
discovered that this was a side effect of having selinux enabled
when doing the check.

When I disable selinux in /etc/selinux/config and reboot, I found
that ./a.pl --basemem became much more stable.

I am guessing something changed between Red Hat 6 and 7 which
caused libselinux to map differently into the address space. I'm
however not ruling out a libc change. Can anyone shed light on this
or point me to something that would indicate why? For reference,
this is libselinux 2.2.2 vs 2.0.94.

Can you provide more details, e.g a reproducer without needing your
particular binaries or a.pl?

Heh. I should have known this would have been asked. I'll try to get you a reproducible test case by next week.

Thanks,
Todd