Re: New rules on restrict kernel module loading

On 06/22/2016 01:35 PM, Ravi Kumar wrote:
> Hi team ,
>
> I see some new changes  both in kernel and sepolicy project on
> restricting the load of kernel module  .
>
> https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/213758/ -- kernel change  on
> check for moudle_load request  by Jeff
> https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/214021/-- sepolicy change
> adding the neverallow  on module_load request  by Jeff .
>
> As most of the  SoC /OEM has there own KO  which are loaded on run-time
> detection an mostly running in system_app/system_server/platfrom_app
>  are there any special guideline here .
>
> As an good example  wlan.ko  .

The neverallow only prohibits loading from a target file other than
system_file or rootfs.  So as long as your module lives in /system or /,
you should just be able to allow permission as needed.  That said, not
sure why that would trigger from an app context; I would expect it to be
more likely from one of the domains already allowed module_request
permission (e.g. system_server, wpa, ...).