Static analysis to assist policy creation?

Hello SELinux list,

We’ve been thinking about creating a static (or potentially concolic) analysis and testing infrastructure that would assist in the creation of finer grained SELinux policies than audit2allow. We think that some work can be done through alias analysis and domain specific object (strings, memory regions/files, etc) analysis wholly statically, but we’ve developed an extensive symbolic execution system for C/binary programs that could also be applied.

I’ve done some searching and asking around and it doesn’t seem like there are any tools that do this. I’m aware of some past projects that made use of static analysis tools to help create security policies, like the IBM SWORD4J work. The IBM people seemed really happy with those results and they have relayed that it really helped their internal efforts for security labeling, so maybe there is some hope for tools in this area.

My question is two-fold

1. Is there a history of using static analysis to create SELinux policies that I haven’t found so far?

2. Is there any interest in the community for such an effort today?

Thank you,

Andrew