Re: did libselinux grow a new build dependency? (openssl-devel: openssl.h)

On 10/18/2015 11:00 AM, Richard Haines wrote:

On Sunday, 18 October 2015, 15:07, Dominick Grift <dac.override@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 12:48:12PM +0000, Richard Haines wrote:
  I added openssl to libselinux to support the new selabel_digest(3)
  function.

  I'm not aware of any issues between openssl and gnutls, however as

  selabel_digest was only added last week I guess not much testing.
  Well apart from myself as I'm currently adding the selinux_restorecon
  feature that makes use of it.

Thanks for clarifying, I am not hitting any issues with it just
wondering if instead of openssl, gnutls could be used for this and if

so, if this should be somehow supported or not.

I tried using gnutls after I read your initial email, however I
could not find a way to generate the same digest as openssl
(I changed the SHA1 function to gnutls_hmac_fast(3) with various
algorithms and used the selabel_digest util to compare digests).
It could be that I should use some other function but I could

not find any useful info on this (including web searches).
If anyone knows how to resolve this please let me know.

I guess what is supported (openssl or gnutls) would be down to
the maintainers.

Wondering if dependency on openssl might be a license issue for Debian or others. Apparently openssl license is considered GPL-incompatible [1] [2], and obviously libselinux is linked by a variety of GPL-licensed programs. Fedora seems to view this as falling under the system library exception [3] but not clear that other distributions would view it that way. On the other hand, using gnutls would be subject to the reverse problem; it would make libselinux depend on a LGPL library, and that could create issues for non-GPL programs that statically link libselinux. We might need to revert this change and revisit how to solve this in a manner that avoids such issues.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#OpenSSL

[2] https://people.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html

[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:FAQ?rd=Licensing/FAQ#What.27s_the_deal_with_the_OpenSSL_license.3F)