Yet another strange behavior.

I will state up front I'm not expecting a concrete answer for this one,  but I sure would appreciate knowing if others may have ever seen a strange behavior as I'll try to describe below.   It has the feeling of some strange timing window, but even that explanation seems a bit far-fetched.

For context, I have a Debian based with some number of differences from "standard Debian".  I have a policy that I know gets loaded by the init process, and that shortly after the policy is loaded that an init driven script is run that mounts a non-root ext3 file system.  That same file system was mounted in previous runs of the system and it was labeled in agreement with the current policy during a previous boot of the system.  About a half second after the ext3  file system is mounted, another init initiated activity is run that uses the -i option on a run of the sed command which thus creates a temporary file to capture the changes and at the end of the run it will be renamed to the original input file.

I run this same installation image and the same policy on 3 different systems, all virtual machines of one type or another.  On one of these systems starting with the third reboot I will see and policy violation audit saying that the process running the sed program does not have create permission to the a file that happens to have the same context as the file on which the sed program is run.

On the other two systems I can reboot over and over never see the audit.

When I use sesearch on the policy file on the system that generated the audit, it reports that the type of the process clearly has create permission to a file of the type being created. At least based on target type provided in the audit message.

The audit is being generated a full half second after the file system mount is completed and 1.8 seconds after the policy load audit is generated.

I can manually run the same init startup action and I do not see the problem.

I am very confident that the policy, as loaded by init at boot time, is the same every time since it exists in a Read Only file system image that is not changed in this test sequence.

Spence