Re: Some of our customers are looking to turn on SELinux but they also want to use CSP from Symantec

On Friday, December 19, 2014 09:59:05 AM Casey Schaufler wrote:
> On 12/19/2014 8:41 AM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> > Currently Symantec requires SELinux be disabled, claiming there is
> > conflicts in the kernel modules.
> >
> > http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/does-scsp-agent-support-selinux
>
> Based on the fact they are also disparaging AppArmor and a couple of
> out-of-tree security modules, and that SELinux=permissive is not sufficient
> I'm assuming it's an out-of-tree security module.

I don't ever recall seeing a SCSP patchset.  I also couldn't find much in the
way of Linux integration details on their website, mostly just marketing
materials.

> > As the customer wants to take advantage of certain SELinux features
> > like sVirt for VMs and Docker Containers, this conflict is coming to a
> > head.
> >
> > Is anyone familiar with whether or not this is a real conflict or just
> > something assumed by Symantec?

Other than Symantec saying you can't have both running at the same time, I
don't even know what the conflict is ... I'm sure we can offer some guesses,
but that isn't very helpful.

> > The customer like Symantec's ability to do intrusion detection and
> > remote logging and configuration of CSB.
> >
> > Bottom line the customer wants both.
>
> It would help if someone from the SELinux community would comment on
> the v18 concurrent security modules patches. Moving that work forward
> is your best step toward getting what you need. Of course, v18 doesn't
> get you all the way, but it gets closer.

This assumes that the issue is due to LSM hook conflicts; not an unreasonable
assumption, but still just a guess.

As for the LSM stacking patches, it's on my list, along with a mountain of
other things (now with more audit, which is horrible in its own special way).
I can promise you that I'm not ignoring your patches any worse than I'm
ignoring anyone else's patches :)

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com