Re: SELinux Userspace Release: 20140826-rc6

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Sven Vermeulen
<sven.vermeulen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Dominick Grift <dac.override@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Now, I tried to remove the "object_r" role from one of my test VMs but
>>> that totally screwed up the image (system froze, and reboot failed).
>>> I'm not sure if I'm allowed to remove it or not now. If I should, I'll
>>> investigate it further and see if I can get denials or other
>>> information from it.
>>
>> object_r should be associated with all security identitiers i believe (including selinux user identities)
>>
>> What you are seeing is expected, and you should not try to remove it
>
> The downside is that with the 2.3 utilities, mentioning "object_r" fails:
>
> ~# semanage user -m -R "object_r sysadm_r system_r" root
> ValueError: object_r must be an SELinux role:
> Valid roles: staff_r, sysadm_r, system_r, unconfined_r, user_r
>
> But with 2.4, not mentioning "object_r" while manipulating the user
> definition results in the failure.
>
> That makes it confusing for administrators that need to manage SELinux
> systems where one set uses 2.3 userspace and another uses 2.4.
> Especially those that use configuration management utilities like salt
> or puppet, as those will now need to add in logic to find out if
> "object_r" is already in the list or not and update accordingly.

I just did another test, now with custom roles. I noticed that the
object_r assigned during the migration isn't done on all SELinux user
mappings?

Before migration:
                Labeling   MLS/       MLS/
SELinux User    Prefix     MCS Level  MCS Range
SELinux Roles

root            user       s0         s0
sysadm_r system_r
staff_u         user       s0         s0
staff_r sysadm_r system_r
sysadm_u        user       s0         s0
sysadm_r system_r
system_u        user       s0         s0-s0:c0.c1023                 system_r
testrole_u      user       s0         s0                             testrole_r
unconfined_u    unconfined s0         s0-s0:c0.c1023
unconfined_r
user_u          user       s0         s0                             user_r

After migration:
                Labeling   MLS/       MLS/
SELinux User    Prefix     MCS Level  MCS Range
SELinux Roles

root            user       s0         s0
sysadm_r system_r
staff_u         user       s0         s0
staff_r sysadm_r system_r
sysadm_u        user       s0         s0
sysadm_r system_r
system_u        user       s0         s0-s0:c0.c1023
object_r system_r
testrole_u      user       s0         s0                             testrole_r
unconfined_u    user       s0         s0-s0:c0.c1023
object_r unconfined_r
user_u          user       s0         s0
object_r user_r

So in this case, object_r is assigned (during migration) to system_u,
unconfined_u and user_u, but not to root, staff_u, sysadm_u and
testrole_u.

Those roles still work though. Is showing object_r in the "SELinux
Roles" part cosmetic perhaps?

Wkr,
  Sven Vermeulen