Re: SELinux Userspace Release 2014-08-26-rc2 feedback on Arch

On 09/06/2014 12:39 PM, Nicolas Iooss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've successfully built and installed components of the SELinux
> Userspace Release 2014-08-26-rc2 on my Arch Linux system.  I had some
> minor issues because:
>
> * "flex" was not up to date on my system.  This was easy to fix.
> * Some Makefiles use "python" instead of "$(PYTHON)" with Python2 code.
>   Doing some "sed" commands in the PKGBUILD script worked around this.
> * I used LIBEXECDIR="${pkgdir}/usr/lib" but libsemanage still wanted to
>   use /usr/libexec/selinux/hll/pp.  Setting compiler-directory variable
>   in /etc/selinux/semanage.conf solved this issue.
>
> Now I would like to migrate my policy to the new store.  The helper
> script fails with this message:
>
>   # /usr/lib/selinux/semanage_migrate_store
>   Migrating from /etc/selinux/refpolicy-patched/modules/active to
>   /var/lib/selinux/refpolicy-patched/active
>   Attempting to rebuild policy from /var/lib/selinux
>   sysnetwork: Warning: 'else' blocks in optional statements are
>   unsupported in CIL. Dropping from output.
>   Failed to resolve roletype statement at 14 of
>   /var/lib/selinux/refpolicy-patched/tmp/modules/100/accountsd/cil
>   Failed to resolve ast
>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>     File "/usr/lib/selinux/semanage_migrate_store", line 313, in
>   <module>
>       rebuild_policy()
>     File "/usr/lib/selinux/semanage_migrate_store", line 212, in
>   rebuild_policy
>     rc = semanage.semanage_commit(handle)
>   OSError: [Errno 0] Error
>
> Moreover doing "semodule -i whatever_module.pp" gives the same error
> messages.  After some investigation I've found that line 14 of the
> reported file is:
>
>   (roletype system_r accountsd_t)
>
> ... and that system_r is defined as a role in refpolicy in
> modules/kernel/kernel.te, which is included in base.pp.  This role
> definition is eaten by the pp compiler (as expected, according to a
> thread in this ML two days ago).  As system_r is not defined in any
> module, semanage fails.
>
> A quick-and-dirty fix consists in building a new module with only "role
> system_r;".  Then I've been able to successfully build the policy in its
> new store, but this looks dirty.  Is there a better way to solve this
> issue or does system_r definition needs to be moved in a real module?
>
> By the way, "OSError: [Errno 0] Error" is quite strange...

Thanks for the feedback. All good. We'll look into these issues. If you
have any already fixed (like the python changes) feel free to submit
them and we can review/pull them in.

As far as the roletype issues, we are actively working on it and should
have a fix this week. In the mean time, your solution of adding a module
that defines the role is probably the best workaround, but should not be
necessary once we get the fixes in.

Thanks,
- Steve