Re: [RFC] Source Policy, CIL, and High Level Languages

On 07/17/2014 04:52 PM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> On 07/17/2014 04:37 PM, Stephen Smalley wrote:

>>> Yep, we store both HLL and CIL. They are both compressed and CIL
>>> compresses decently since it's just text, but it's still a lot of text.

>>> Not at the moment, but it wouldn't be hard to accomplish. Just need to
>>> delete all the hll files and change the contents of lang_ext to 'cil'.
>>> Something we could add if storage is an issue.
>> That worked, albeit I had to learn that lang_ext must not include a
>> newline or libsemanage won't accept it.  Took it down to 5.8M.  I
>> suspect we could also stop retaining a copy of certain generated files
>> like file_contexts although that is no different than the current code.
>>
>> Not sure what benefit there is in retaining the pp files, since they
>> carry no additional information AFAIK and they aren't human viewable or
>> editable.  Is there even an option for exporting modules from the policy
>> store currently that would allow extracting them except via direct file
>> access to the policy store?
>>
>> More generally, if the user knows that the hll module is going to be
>> saved elsewhere, then there is no reason to retain a copy in the policy
>> store, so having the option of dropping the hll version, either for all
>> modules or for specific modules, seems useful.
>>

> BTW Moving the policy out of /etc is also great.  I would like to see
> policy loaded from
> /var/lib/selinux/ if it exists and then look in /usr/lib/selinux/ if it
> does not.  Then distributions could
> ship their own policies, and if a user wanted to get back to Factory
> install he could just rm -rf /var/lib/selinux

At present, they still install the final policy files to
/etc/selinux/targeted since that is where libselinux expects to find
them for loading; only the policy module store managed by libsemanage is
moved from /etc/selinux/targeted/modules to /var/lib/selinux/targeted.
If you wanted to relocate even the final policy files, we'd have to
update libselinux to also look under /var/lib/selinux.  Also, there
might be a problem with relocating to /var for the final policy files
since it can be a separate partition and might not always be mounted
when systemd tries to load policy.

In the case of Android, we have the initial set of policy files in /
(part of the rootfs from the initramfs), and optionally you can place
your own policy under /data/security.  init always loads first from the
policy files in the rootfs and then later reloads from the
/data/security policy files if present after mounting /data.  Factory
reset wipes /data and restores to the original rootfs policy.