Re: pcre compiled context files invalid with pcre updates?

On Wed, Jul 09, 2014 at 11:27:29AM -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > Do you think the above analysis makes sense? The bug linked earlier on has a
> > gdb backtrace for those interested. Any other pointers that might help us
> > troubleshoot this would be appreciated.
>
> When this came up in:
> http://marc.info/?t=137192124100002&r=1&w=2
> the solution was to add a trigger to the selinux-policy package to
> always rebuild the policy (which includes regenerating the .bin file) on
> pcre upgrades.
>
> Are you not doing that in Gentoo?

Not yet, we're exploring our options.

I was hoping the previous time was a one-off, but apparently it's not.

> The issue came up again in the context of cross-compiling in:
> http://marc.info/?t=139275881100002&r=1&w=2
> and there was a willingness to add a version but I don't think anyone
> proposed a patch to do so.  But even with the version, using the PCRE
> version effectively just means that you'll need to regenerate on each
> new library version anyway, right?  So what do we gain versus the
> current approach of regenerating on pcre updates?

There's a small period between the pcre upgrade and the selinux-policy
update in which we'll get these failures again (and in Gentoo, the
installation of selinux-policy will fail because a relabeling operation on
the files would occur which will segfault - but that's something we need to
tackle in Gentoo).

Wkr,
	Sven Vermeulen