From: Stephen Smalley [mailto:sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 1:53 PM
To: kim.lawson-jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx; selinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Labelling problems with a user directly running an application
in a confined domain

On 04/01/2014 01:42 PM, Kim Lawson-Jenkins wrote:
>> I read on a SELinux-related blog that unconfined_r should be mapped
>> to staff_u when removing the unconfined domain, so I didn't remove
>> unconfined _r for all of the SELinux users.  Should I remove
>> unconfined_r
> for staff_u?
>
> That doesn't make sense.  Can you cite this blog?
>
> http://selinux-mac.blogspot.com/2009/06/selinux-lockdown-part-eight-un
> confin
> ed.html

It looks like his example was for the case where you remove only the
unconfined module, not unconfineduser.

I think you at least need to update
/etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/failsafe_context to use a different context
if fully removing unconfined_r/unconfined_t.  And certainly Red Hat isn't
testing that scenario.

> Kim's response - I'm updating a policy for an application that ran on
> RHEL5 using the then-supported strict policy.  I read that removing
> the unconfined domain will make the newer systems operate as the old
> strict policy, so I went with this method for updating the policy.  I
> hadn't heard about using mls as an alternative to removing the unconfined
module.

The mls policy has always been strict policy + MLS (instead of MCS).
Whether or not the specific -mls package that your distribution includes has
everything you need I don't know.