Re: RFC - Display context information using iproute2 ss utility

On Monday, February 17, 2014 09:10:21 PM Ole Kliemann wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 04:50:22PM -0500, Paul Moore wrote:

> > > I was doing it that way and it seemed to work ...
> >
> > What you will see is the label of the socket's associated inode, not the
> > actual socket label.
> >
> > > ... I could even change the context using 'chcon /proc/PID/fd'.
> >
> > Yes, you really shouldn't do that.  I've actually got a patch kicking
> > around that I haven't had the time to test which will actually prevent
> > you from changing a socket's inode label.
> >
> > > But I have no idea whether it is supposed to be a reliable way or
> > > any other methods exist. The whole sockfs thing kept me rather
> > > wondering...
> >
> > It works as far as I know, it just turns out that it isn't quite what you
> > think it is :)
>
> Thanks for clarification.
>
> On a related question: Is it the same with pipes? I just
> realized, in one of my programs I am actually using setfilecon on
> /proc/self/fd/some_pipe to change the context of a pipe.
>
> Do I have to expect this to break in a later kernel patch?
>
> If yes, what would be the correct way? Do I have to use explicit
> FIFO files to be able to do this?

As you've probably figured out by now, sockets are just a little bit odd from
a SELinux point of view.  The good news, in relation to your question, is that
pipes are entirely different from sockets from a SELinux perspective.  Pipes
should behave like normal fds with no hidden labels/properties.

-Paul

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com