Re: selinux control for network interface using SOCK_RAW

> On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:21 PM, Paul Moore <pmoore@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 07:49:19 AM Andy Ruch wrote:
>
>>  Hello,
>>
>>  I'm trying to restrict an application to only have access to some
> network
>>  interfaces. I'm running a custom policy on a RHEL 6.3 system. The
>>  application is opening the socket as AF_PACKET and SOCK_RAW. However,
>>  selinux doesn't seem to be controlling any raw access to the
> interfaces.
>
> SELinux does not provide any per-packet access controls for AF_PACKET sockets.
> The basic problem is that AF_PACKET traffic is an opaque blob as far as the
> kernel is concerned.  The application may carefully craft well formed IP
> packets, but the kernel doesn't do any inspection/parsing of the data sent
> down via a AF_PACKET socket, it is just a blob to passed off to the network
> device.
>
> I suppose we could do something with the netif:egress access control for
> packet sockets, but that would require a new LSM hook and some SELinux glue as
> AF_PACKET traffic isn't subject to the netfilter hooks SELinux currently
> uses
> (if I recall correctly).
>
> --
> paul moore
> security and virtualization @ redhat

I'm not looking for any per-packet control. I was just hoping to restrict my application's use of the packet socket to a single interface, i.e. prevent access an out-of-band management network. The netif ingress/egress permissions are what I would have expected but I say that without knowing anything about how those are implemented.