Re: Been looking at further shrinkage of the SELinux footprint on Linux.

On 11/06/2013 10:35 AM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> In Gentoo, we try to only install the SELinux policies related to the
>>> package that is installed. So if a system does not have a web server,
>>> no httpd policies are loaded.
> [...]
>> And how do  you handle the problem of removing policy when packages get
>> removed?  What happens to the programs content?
>
> Good point. We don't handle that - if the package is removed and no other
> package exists that has a dependency on the SELinux policy, then the
> SELinux policy is also removed. Which invalidates the contexts of the
> files. I reckon that users who hit issues with that would relabel the
> files, which usually labels them to the "parent" type (such as var_t for
> things in /var/www then). But I have not received such case(s) for review
> yet.
>
> Wkr, Sven Vermeulen

These are the types of things that I have to worry about with a Huge installed
base.  Just removing the apache.pp would instantaneously would invalidate all
content in /var/www, but also types in any other policy that was installed
that uses apache_content_template.

# grep apache_content_template *.te
apache.te:apache_content_template(httpd_sys)
apache.te:apache_content_template(httpd_user)
apcupsd.te:	apache_content_template(apcupsd_cgi)
awstats.te:apache_content_template(awstats)
bugzilla.te:apache_content_template(bugzilla)
collectd.te:apache_content_template(collectd)
cvs.te:	apache_content_template(cvs)
dirsrv-admin.te:	apache_content_template(dirsrvadmin)
dspam.te:	apache_content_template(dspam)
git.te:apache_content_template(git)
lightsquid.te:	apache_content_template(lightsquid)
man2html.te:	apache_content_template(man2html)
mediawiki.te:	apache_content_template(mediawiki)
mojomojo.te:	apache_content_template(mojomojo)
munin.te:apache_content_template(munin)
mythtv.te:apache_content_template(mythtv)
nagios.te:	apache_content_template(nagios)
nut.te:	apache_content_template(nutups_cgi)
openshift.te:	apache_content_template(openshift)
prelude.te:	apache_content_template(prewikka)
smokeping.te:	apache_content_template(smokeping_cgi)
squid.te:	apache_content_template(squid)
w3c.te:apache_content_template(w3c_validator)
webalizer.te:	apache_content_template(webalizer)
zoneminder.te:	apache_content_template(zoneminder)