Re: Been looking at further shrinkage of the SELinux footprint on Linux.

On 11/2/2013 9:42 AM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> [...]
>>> Personally, I'd much rather see work done on shrinking the actual policy
>>> size in Fedora rather than just compressing it.  Both by reducing the
>>> overall size of refpolicy through coalescing similar domains/types and by
>>> making better use of the work that has already been done to support putting
>>> policy modules into rpms and only installing what actually get used.
> [...]
>> Well we have done some work on combining like domains, see antivirus and
>> spamassassin, but this is a lot of work which no one has time for.
>>
>> I would love to see the mailserver and mailclients domains combined.
>>
>> If people want to suggest or more importantly submit patches to combine other
>> domains, I am all for it.
>>
>> Problems with shipping policy within rpm still exists. although we (Red Hat)
>> are at least moving toward layered products shipping their own policy.
>> openstack-selinux, openshift-selinux, gluster-selinux.  This is more for them
>> updating quicker then RHEL.
> In Gentoo, we try to only install the SELinux policies related to the
> package that is installed. So if a system does not have a web server,
> no httpd policies are loaded. This works pretty well. My workstation
> (which is where I do all my SELinux policy development on) has 100
> policy modules loaded; my servers usually have around 50 to 60 modules
> loaded. That makes running things like "semodule -B" rather smooth.
> Not really fast, but one doesn't need to switch to another thing to do
> while waiting (4 seconds on a VM I'm currently playing with).

A lot of work is being done to improve the start-up time
of consumer (e.g. phones) devices and "disposable" VMs. We're
talking about people getting their knickers in a twist over
security adding 20 milliseconds to the boot process. Your
4 second semodule run is not going to fly.