Re: Been looking at further shrinkage of the SELinux footprint on Linux.

On 10/31/2013 08:43 AM, Steve Lawrence wrote:
> On 10/30/2013 04:47 PM, Stephen Smalley wrote:

>>> Yes, I have to wonder if we don't need a complete overhaul/replacement
>>> of libsemanage (+ module portions of libsepol).  It seems like
>>> semodule/semanage transactions are far slower than running the entire
>>> policy through checkpolicy again (i.e. just using source modules and
>>> running them through m4 + checkpolicy on each transaction, ala the
>>> source policy module work that sadly has yet to reach
>>> maturity/completion).
>>
>> However, on this note, I'm pretty sure that the rpm work allows you to
>> just collect up all of the policy modules and run semodule once at the
>> end (collections or whatever).  So that particular problem should be
>> solved already even for the binary modules.
>>

> This is correct. the collection feature of RPM gathers up all selinux
> policies from all the rpms in the yum/rpm transaction and installs them all
> in a single semanage transaction. Note that although the work was
> upstreamed, last I checked, the building of the selinux plugin that
> performs the work to aggregate and install the policy modules is currently
> disabled on fedora.

>>> That's also fixed if we go with source modules, right, since interface
>>> change would get applied by the m4 + checkpolicy cycle.  Or CIL.

>>> That's the only one that seems fundamental.  What if we pushed all
>>> file type declarations into their own module linked to the base
>>> filesystem package and just always installed that?  That won't affect
>>> policy size substantially; it is the allow rules that are the issue
>>> IIUC, not just the type decls.
>>>

> The way this is handled in the RPM collection feature is modules are never
> uninstalled, even if the package that installed that module is. Not ideal,
> but it solves this problem.
>

> -- This message was distributed to subscribers of the selinux mailing
> list. If you no longer wish to subscribe, send mail to
> majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the words "unsubscribe selinux" without quotes
> as the message.
Can you open a bugzilla on this, and show me point me at documentation on how
to use this.

In current Fedora we are attempting to ship a binary policy precompiled so we
do not take a long time/memory in initial install.  But it would be nice to
tell people to use the new feature to run their policy load in a transaction.

It would also be nice if we could do semanage commands within this transaction.