Re: Been looking at further shrinkage of the SELinux footprint on Linux.

Daniel J Walsh wrote:

We are trying to shrink out cloud image as small as possible.  One idea was to
shrink SELinux Policy footprint by adding compression to it.

Here is a patch I have been fooling around with which would read a policy.29
file if it was compressed with xz.

xz compression does around a 90% compression on the policy file,  and does not
slow the load in any meaningfull way.

I also have done a patch to try out gzip.

gzip and xz are already used in systemd, which means we would not need to add
a new requirement to the minimal system.

xz seems quicker and smaller then gzip.

Have not started playing with libsemanage yet.

What do you think?  Is xz availabel on Android?

No.

Is there a reason you wouldn't just have systemd decompress it before loading it? I guess if you want all the existing tools/libraries to work without any changes it would need to be build in to libselinux rather done outside of the library.

Android's libselinux is forked anyway so this probably wouldn't flow to Android.