Re: avc_has_perm() returns -1 even when SELinux is in permissive mode

On 10/27/2013 09:43 AM, Laurent Bigonville wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After some debugging on Debian to figure out why D-Bus why denying
> messages between my user session and policykit with SELinux in
> permissive mode, eparis pointed me that Fedora has a patch for this in
> the avc_has_perm() function.
>
> The patch[0] itself seems pretty trivial and I was wondering if it (or
> something similar) could be merged in the upstream codebase.
>
> But, if I'm not wrong, this patch makes avc_has_perm() and
> avc_has_perm_noaudit() have different behavior when the machine is
> running in permissive mode, shouldn't this be tested in the
> avc_has_perm_noaudit() function instead?

I'm pretty sure I NAKed that previously.  Permissive mode isn't supposed
to hide other kinds of errors/bugs other than policy denials, so making
it hide arbitrary error conditions (which could include completely bogus
security contexts, security classes, memory allocation failure, etc) is
definitely not a good thing.  Particularly if there is absolutely no
logging of what the issue was so that you have a hope of noting it
before switching to enforcing.