Re: high to low UDP stream

On 05/23/2013 12:32 PM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
On 05/23/2013 12:20 PM, Langland, Blake wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am having a hard time figuring out if what I want to do is possible
knowing the way that the MLS policy is designed. Basically I am
wondering if it is possible to write a module or do some sort of
network labeling to allow a UDP stream to be sent from a higher level
process on an SELinux machine to a lower classification machine
(peer-labeled with netlabel). Here is what I am trying to do:

s3 process -----> s2 machine (netlabel)

I am aware that this goes against the BLP model of no writes from high
to low, but I just wanted to verify if it is possible to make and
"exception" of sorts with SELinux. I have tried labeling outgoing
packets with SECMARK to s2 but it is still denying the message based
on the peer labeling. How do cross domain guards accomplish this since
I think some are run on SELinux?

You can generally override the MLS restrictions on a per-domain basis by
assigning a specific type attribute to the domain.  The specific
attribute required can be gleaned from the policy/mls constraints, and
refpolicy usually provides interfaces for doing so, but ultimately it
just boils down to adding a typeattribute statement that assigns the
requisite attribute to the domain and then the constraint will be
satisfied.

BTW, the refpolicy interfaces for assigning these attributes can be found in policy/modules/kernel/mls.if file.