Re: Compiling Selinux from Source

On 03/16/2013 08:06 AM, Kernel freak wrote:
Hello,
          I want to make some modifications to SElinux itself for some
of my work. I am currently using Fedora v18 with KDE. I downloaded the
Linux kernel, and also the reference policy source. Both seem to give me
an error. The errors are
While compiling the policy '@localhost serefpolicy-3.11.1]$ sudo make conf
make: *** No rule to make target `policy/modules/contrib/metadata.xml',
needed by `tmp/admin.xml'.  Stop.'

While compiling Selinux  from Linux kernel 3.7.10
'@localhost selinux]$ make
make: *** No rule to make target `/include/classmap.h', needed by
`/flask.h'.  Stop.'

I fail to understand what am i missing here. I checked the contrib
directory, it turns out to be empty. Also, i downloaded the serefpolicy
using yum-utils. Kindly let me know or some links. Thank you for your time.

If you downloaded the selinux-policy source rpm and installed it, then you have the spec file, so you can either build it via rpmbuild -bb selinux-policy.spec or duplicate the instructions from the spec file to build it by hand. If you checked out the upstream refpolicy sources, then you have to run git submodule commands to check out the contrib directory, as described in:
http://oss.tresys.com/projects/refpolicy/wiki/RepositoryCheckout

refpolicy-specific questions should go to the refpolicy mailing list however.

For the kernel, it looks like you cd'd into security/selinux before running make. That isn't how it is done. Configure your kernel and run make at top-level. Then it will generate the headers and ultimately build the selinux/built-in.o that gets linked into the kernel. It is not a loadable kernel module (LKM).