Re: __thread and fork() is a big no-no

On 01/15/2013 03:35 PM, Eric Paris wrote:
Looking at the set*createcon cache patch we realized it wasn't working
right.  Quickly putting together a test program we found that:

static __thread pid_t tid = 0;

int main(void)
{
         pid_t child;

         tid = syscall(__NR_gettid);
         printf("parent=%d\n", tid);

         child = fork();
         if (child == 0)
                 printf("child=%d\n", tid);
          return 0;
}

We expected to get results like:
parent=6500
child=0

Instead you find result like:
parent=6500
child=6500

Thread local storage is NOT initialized across fork().  It's always been
known that threads and fork() don't play well together:
http://www.linuxprogrammingblog.com/threads-and-fork-think-twice-before-using-them

But we weren't threading the parent or the child, so we expected it to
work.  Instead we've had to add a call to pthread_atfork() which
explicitly resets tid at fork.  Basically just:

static void clear(void)
{
         tid = 0;
}

int main(void)
{
         int rc;
         rc = pthread_atfork(NULL, NULL, clear);
         if (rc)
                 return rc;
}

We actually call this ptherad_atfork() inside the init_procattr()
function which is only called once.  I'm wondering if we suffer from the
same problems with __thread variables and fork() in the library callers
elsewhere in the code.  I'll take a look.

Just letting folks know something interesting we found yesterday, in
case they find it interesting...

Hmm...seems like caching things like gettid() might be frowned upon, if this is any guide,
http://marc.info/?t=108644931500001&r=1&w=2