semanage fails when conflicting types are in current or subdirectory

Just a heads up to anyone who comes across as similar problem.

On a fairly basic centos 6.3 machine:
selinux-policy.noarch                                 3.7.19-155.el6_3.4                        @updates
selinux-policy-targeted.noarch                        3.7.19-155.el6_3.4                        @updates

$ sudo semanage permissive -a munin_services_plugin_t
/usr/sbin/semanage: compilation failed:
/usr/share/selinux/devel/include/Makefile:151: *** multiple target patterns.  Stop.

line 151 is
all: $(all_packages)

It turns out I had a t.te in the currently directory containing
#============= munin_services_plugin_t ==============
allow munin_services_plugin_t unconfined_t:sem { unix_read unix_write };

with its corresponding t.pp file. As semanage called make -f /usr/share/selinux/devel/include/Makefile some of the current directory was significant. As the makefile calls find some of the subdirectories could also be significant. I created an empty directory and ran semanage from that directory and it worked ok.

The order and cause could be slightly off here. In the rush to get a right solution I didn't record the details that well.

--
Daniel Black, Engineer @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Remote expertise & maintenance for MySQL/MariaDB server environments.