Re: Question about SELinux capability

On 11/1/12 1:03 PM, "Bryan Hinton" <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Thomas,
>You had mentioned that you are working with a piece of embedded hardware
>that uses raw ethernet frames to communicate with another PC.
>I had a few questions to better understand the problem.
>Are you manually packing the MAC destination and MAC source address in
>the ethernet frame?

There is a library that is provided to us that handles the communication.
I believe the library constructs the ethernet frame manually, including
the MAC addresses.

>Are you restricted to a specific medium - i.e. ethernet cable?

Yes. The hardware dictates this. We do have the guarantee that the
interface is direct connection between the PC and the embedded hardware.

>Which embedded Linux distribution are you working with and which version
>of the Linux kernel are you working with?

The PC runs Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The OS on the other side is not
known (to me). It is treated as a black box.

>Have you explored the MAC filtering capabilities in iptables?

I didn't think that iptables would actually be involved since the ethernet
frames have no IP header in them.

>Am I correct in assuming that you are trying to dynamically filter MAC
>addresses?

Not sure what is meant by the above. The goal is to limit what
applications running on the system can communicate with the embedded
hardware connected to the system.

>If not, what parameters constitute a raw ethernet frame that should get
>labeled?

As above, I'm not sure I follow the question. I think the shortest answer
I can provide is that this hardware has a protocol that is used in place
of IP, and we need to do some filtering to enforce the security property
outlined above (only application X can communicate with the hardware).

>Also, labeling the network interface per prior suggestions sounds like a
>good idea but was curious regarding the above questions.

I think that is the route we have decided on. On the off chance that we
test out the connection and iptables will actually identify the traffic, I
might consider that, but given the other constraints (e.g. The connection
is a dedicated connection between the system and the embedded device) I
think the interface labeling will work fine.