Re: Security hooks for rpm

Hi Panu,

If you remember we have been discussing a while ago about the
possibility to define a unified set of security hooks for rpm that we
can use for our MSM implementation and others can use, too. We have
finished the discussion around smth that I would need to reach an
agreement with SELinux team (in CC now) that they can use this set of
hooks, too.

We had discussions at LinuxCon just recently and I think we all want
to have a unified interface. I think we can settle the hooks arguments
and position inside the code, but there is a bigger question that
would be great to hear your opinion on.

Currently (this is my understanding, so please correct me if I am
terribly wrong) rpm has only one plugin interface that is defined as
"collection plugins". It isn't very generic enough to be called the
"rpm plugin interface". Do you have any plans/roadmap to have smth
like generic rpm plugin interface in the future? And how should the
security interface be embedded into rpm? Should we define a notion of
"security plugin", its set of hooks and be able to load a number of
these plugins (if a number of security modules is active on the
system). Or should we rather try to define a generic plugin interface
that can in the beginning have the hooks related to security,  but
further be extended with other non-security related hooks?

Best Regards,
Elena.