Re: neverallow and attributes

On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 16:37 +0200, Ole Kliemann wrote:
> If I do:
>
>     attribute A;
>
>     type T1_t;
>     type T2_t;
>
>     typeattribute T2_t A;
>
>     allow A T1_t:file read;
>
>     neverallow T2_t T1_t:file read;
>
> I can compile and load the corresponding module. I can even do:
>
>     allow A T1_t:file read;
>
>     neverallow A T1_t:file read;
>
> without problems.
>
> I cannot do:
>
>     allow T2_t T1_t:file read;
>
>     neverallow A T1_t:file read;
>

> The neverallow assertion does not find any allows that are
> constituted by allowing something for an attribute.
>
> Is this normal behaviour?

I would call that a bug.  However, I'm not surprised, as Fedora disables
the neverallow checking by default (expand-check=0
in /etc/selinux/semanage.conf), so it doesn't get much testing these
days.  Possibly the neverallow checking has never been updated to
account for preservation of attributes in the kernel policy (originally
all attributes were expanded at compile-time).

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency