Re: A filename to label translation daemon

On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 13:36 -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> This seems like the best solution?  If upstream will accept it.  We could
> rebuild the regex data when semanage modifies the file context.

One thing that will make me mildly sad about this is that now in GNOME
processes we'll have *three* regexp libraries linked in: libc, glib's
PCRE fork (it's ancient history now), and PCRE via libselinux.

I wonder how hard it would be to get a pcre_precompile equivalent into
libc.

Really though in the big picture, while the file context regexps were
probably an OK solution way back when SELinux was a "proof of concept"
prototype, the current policy generating 5000 of them is just crazy...

One other possibility - I bet one could get a huge speedup in some cases
by splitting up the regexp set based on common prefixes.  For example,
if you're trying to match /tmp/krb5cc, there's no reason to run over all
2000 regexps which start with /usr.  This solution is kind of an
intermediate step between "run 5000 regexps serially" and "write custom
code to compile 5000 regexps into a DFA that returns a context".