Re: RFC: packet checks always on option

On 5/15/2012 2:45 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:46:27 AM Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:

>>> Perhaps I'm reading the two sentences above wrong, perhaps I'm thinking
>>> about it wrong, or perhaps you didn't write them as intended; but the two
>>> sentences above seem to contradict each other in my mind.  I just don't
>>> see how you can have enforcement via labels without correct application
>>> of the labels themselves.
>>
>> Of course for a system to work right you need correct enforcement, correct
>> policy, and correct labeling.  My whole argument is about the enforcement.
>> If you have correct labeling and correct policy but wrong enforcement, its
>> still incorrect. I'm only trying to argue on the enforcement; label
>> correctness is important, just not for this discussion.
>
> My argument is that worrying about enforcement without demonstrating you've
> solved the labeling issue is pointless.  It is my opinion that the labels have
> to be correct before you can perform any worthwhile enforcement.

I agree that worthwhile enforcement requires correct labels but I'm not
following how that relates to having a complete non-bypassable
mechanism. If I understand correctly, when there are no SECMARK rules
then the related security checks on packets are not performed - i.e. the
default behavior is to allow any domain access to any packet. Isn't that
contrary to the behavior of how every other SELinux enforcement point works?

> If you want to move forward with a policy capability to enable the per-packet
> access checks, please provide a mechanism to manage/verify/etc. the secmark
> label configuration within the greater scope of the policy.  I think someone
> made some effort at this a while back, but I believe it died out fairly
> quickly; I can't recall what the approach was exactly (I think it basically
> encapsulated the iptables rules somehow) but at least it was a start.
>
>> I can see if you're saying that a system a SECMARK ruleset that fails to
>> load would have incorrect labels for packets.  I agree with that.
>
> There is also the even more sinister danger of mis-labeling, e.g. "coke" being
> labeled as "pepsi".

I'm not sure how the potential danger of mislabeling supports the
argument that the default behavior - with *no* specific labeling - is to
allow all access.

David