Re: SE Android and Finer Grained Permissions

On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 17:02 -0800, Casey Schaufler wrote:
> On 3/4/2012 6:02 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Forgive my ignorance here.....
> >
> > I was reading the slides at on SE Android at
> > http://selinuxproject.org/~jmorris/lss2011_slides/caseforseandroid.pdf.
> >
> > I see the slides point out "[Current Android suffers] limited
> > granularity, coarse-grained privilege." But I don't see where SE
> > Android corrected it. For example, it appears READ_PHONE_STATE still
> > encompasses reading a device serial number, IMEI, SIM ID, call state,
> > incoming calling number, etc.
> >
> > Does SE Android remediate the coarse grained permissions?
> >
> > Is an application installation still an "all or nothing" proposition
> > with respect to permissions? For example, can I approve an install and
> > later take away the WRITE_CONTACTS permission?
>
> I personally applaud the coarser granularity that the Android policy
> has over the Fedora policy. I have long been critical of what I
> consider to be excesses of granularity in SELinux. Do you really want
> to see 900,000 lines of policy for a handset device? And before
> someone starts to claim that the handset system software is somehow
> smaller or less complex than the Fedora distribution I will point to
> Stephen's note about the application enforced policy of Android.
>
> Fine granularity in access controls are lots of fun for engineers
> and seem like a good idea when you want to turn on a particular
> facility and can't do so because the seemingly unrelated implications
> are too dangerous. But it's a slippery slope, and I seriously doubt
> that anyone would want to truly understand all the relationships
> included in a policy for Android that matches the granularity of the
> policy for Fedora.
>
> But, that's my well known opinion, and as such you may wish to take
> it with a grain of salt. I will be sad to see the Android policy grow
> with the same unbridled exuberance as the Fedora and reference policies.

Just to be clear, the SE Android (kernel) policy is a small, fixed
policy (with a small set of security goals) that doesn't require any
policy writing by (Android) app developers and that is invisible to
users.  And we intend to keep it that way.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency