Re: SE Android and Finer Grained Permissions

On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 21:02 -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Forgive my ignorance here.....
>
> I was reading the slides at on SE Android at
> http://selinuxproject.org/~jmorris/lss2011_slides/caseforseandroid.pdf.
>
> I see the slides point out "[Current Android suffers] limited
> granularity, coarse-grained privilege." But I don't see where SE
> Android corrected it. For example, it appears READ_PHONE_STATE still
> encompasses reading a device serial number, IMEI, SIM ID, call state,
> incoming calling number, etc.
>
> Does SE Android remediate the coarse grained permissions?

No. Currently, the SE Android policy is only trying to ensure that the
existing Android security model is enforced. The Android permissions
work exactly the same way.

SE Android is still a work in progress. Our goal is to extend security
controls into the application frameworks of Android to better control
applications and that could eventually lead to finer-grained control
over resources currently controlled by Android permissions.

> Is an application installation still an "all or nothing" proposition
> with respect to permissions? For example, can I approve an install and
> later take away the WRITE_CONTACTS permission?

As I mentioned above, SE Android currently does not change the Android
security model.
--
James Carter <jwcart2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
National Security Agency